With that in mind, I offer these questions for reflection:
- What are five adjectives that describe my classroom culture?
- How do my students feel about school?
- How do my students feel about each other. How well do they work together?
- Do we "gel?" Do we feel like a cohesive group?
- Is my class a safe place to take academic risks?
- Are questions, creativity, originality, and new ideas welcome?
- What values are important in my classroom - respect? tolerance? trustworthiness? self-control? kindness?
- What behaviors are important in my classroom -trying your best? following directions? staying on task? helping others?
- What motivates my students to do their work or behave appropriately?
- How are discipline issues handled in my classroom? What is the result of this strategy?
- What makes my classroom special and unique- what are students likely to remember 20 years from now?
- Other than academics, what are three things I hope my students learn from being in my class?
Were any of these questions particularly helpful? Do you have more to add? Please share with a comment.