I've gotten together with some of my blogging friends to host this awesome contest for a $200 gift card card from Staples! Big thanks to Coupons.com who has generously donated the prize.
Putting together this contest got me thinking about money and how teachers spend so much of on their classrooms and students, especially during back to school season. So, I thought I would write a little a little DOs and DON'T's post about money.
Things to Consider when Buying for Your Classroom
DO take advantage of teacher discounts. While it is usually only 5% to 10% it does add up. Here is an awesome list of businesses that offer discounts for teachers.
DON'T buy something unless you know exactly what you will use it for, even if it is an amazing deal. Too much wasted money. Too much wasted space.
DO shop at yard sales and thrift stores. Your students will never know and you will save a bundle!
DO make it yourself if:
- it really will save you a ton of money.
- the project can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
- you will enjoy the work.
DON'T make it yourself if:
- materials will cost nearly as much as just buying all put together.
- it will take a huge time commitment
- you won't enjoy the work.
- you don't have the skill and or knowledge to do the job well.
DO take printing and laminating into account before you purchase if your school doesn't cover it.DO consider submitting a DonersChoose project if you have a real need for something beyond your means. Laura Candler's DonersChoose Community is a great place to start.
DON'T feel guilty about the money you spend on your classroom - or the money you don't spend. Find the balance that works for you. And remember that anything you out of your own pocket really is a gift you are giving to your students...even if it seems like a necessity.
It's Giveaway Time!
Here is what you need to know before you enter:
- The contest is only open to US residents (sorry!)
- There are a ton of ways to enter, and you can enter as many as you want, but only one time each.
- If you see this same contest on another blog, you don't need to enter again. The entry form is the same for all of us.
- The contest runs from August 21 to August 31. A winner will be randomly selected on September 1. The winner will be announced on all participating blogs and will also be sent an email.
Good luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway